- Paweł Fajdek at the European Championships so far has won 1 gold (2016) and 2 silver medals (2014, 2018). The title of continental champion, which he won four years ago in Berlin, was defended by Olympic gold medalist Wojciech Nowicki.
- The other contenders, with the exception of Fdek, who reached the qualifying distance (77.50 metres) on Wednesday, are 33-year-old Noiki (78.78), Ukraine’s Mikajao Kochan (77.85) and Hungarian Pence Halas (77.72). Norway’s Evind Henriksen (77.27) and Franoz Quentin Bego (77.22) gave slightly less.
- In the playoffs, Fdic was not upset by the feud with the referees who did not want to let one of the hammers he brought into the competition.
- You can read more interesting stories at PrzegladSportowy.Onet.pl. Checks out!
– The first qualifying throw (75.78m – editorial note) was very accurate and sensitive. I did the third and fourth spin slowly, practically on the spot. And the second attempt was faster and correct – said the best player of the July World Championships in Eugene and the leader of the hammer throw of the season (81.98 m) after leaving the field.
– We had a minor quarrel with the judges. We brought new hammers here and they found them too long. They were holding a hammer, and a judge was pulling the rope and measuring it. He found it a millimeter too long. Sorry, Polanek makes good hammers. We’ll explain it right away, so that the final is a hammer, it should – Bowie’s reveal in the mixed zone.
Then he explained, “We gave two of the same hammers.” One was withdrawn and the other was accepted into the competition. I wanted it, but the judge said it was too long. And soon we’ll measure it again, this time in the right position. They are not in (their position – editor’s note), because they err.
In his latest competition of the season, the 33-year-old is expecting tough competition from his rivals. He highly appreciates the chances of, for example, Hungarian Bens Halas, who finished second in the competition nine days ago in Szekesfeirvár (79.44) – behind Nowicki (79.96), and ahead of Fdic (79.15).
– In the final five competitors will exceed 80 metres, what will be the standings? we will see. These players will be Hungarian, French and Norwegian (Pence Halasz, Quentin Pigot and Evind Herniksen; the latter being the bronze medalist at the last World Championships and the silver medalist at the Tokyo Olympics – ed.). The Hungarian is strong, and recently at home he was throwing beyond a radius of 80 meters. It’s definitely sexy. He hasn’t won a medal at the World Championships, just like the French, so they’ll want to come back – FDIC appraisal.
During qualifying, the Hammer suffered a bit from overheating (nearly 30°C) and competition in full sun. The final match is scheduled for Thursday evening (8:10 pm).
– It’s good to be cooler tomorrow evening. Today, there was nowhere to go beyond the viewport, and there was practically no shadow. The wheel in the ballpark turned out to be very good. We knew it was blunt and slow, but it wasn’t confirmed. The wheel is fast and can be thrown away. So tomorrow must be really good – our world champion declared.
The current season has had its effect: – Tomorrow at 22:00 I will start my holiday, although of course there will be a fight in the competition. I am already very tired, everything hurts. I would lie down for a month and do nothing. Then you have to focus on preparations for the next World Cup (August 19-27, 2023 in Budapest – Editor’s note) – said Vdic. In a year in Hungary, he will be able to recoup the feat of the famous pole vaulter Sergei Bubka, who became a six-time world champion.
They went to Munich with coach Szymon Ziółkowski by car. – If our bags got lost all season and problems with flights occurred, we decided to travel by car. We shared the route with the coach, and we did our half – hammer joke.
– Here I start on the fumes – admitted. Who will win the final? It will be a matter of acting and who will sleep better, regenerate, mentally. Wojtek Nowicki is also strong, although he didn’t start here. Show it in the viewport. Let’s hope that tomorrow’s competition will surpass the 80-meter level. I count five 80. Let this hammer throw develop, let the youth attack … – finished the Olympic bronze and three European medalists.
“The uncomfortably humble TV fan. Twitter generalist. Extreme music enthusiast. Internet connoisseur. Social media lover.”