- In July, gas-fired power plants accounted for only 4.6 percent. Electricity production in Poland. A year ago, that share reached nearly 8%.
- Power engineers explain breakpoints with low water levels in rivers or with “operating conditions”
- As in the case of coal, there are growing concerns about whether there is enough gas for power plants and heating in winter
- The importance of gas energy in Poland will increase, because the blocks of this fuel will replace the old coal facilities. Some are already under construction
- More important information can be found on Onet homepage
More than 40 percent energy production from domestic gas units fell year-on-year in July. This is the most powerful rock eruption of all energy sources. Hard coal power plants, which are the basis of the Polish power system, decreased by 16% at that time. We describe the case of coal blocks in July. We then revealed that black-fuel power plants significantly reduce their ability to provide coal for the winter. Although they contracted for delivery by the end of the year, they were still concerned about whether the coal would actually reach them in the winter. When power losses are reported, they usually include “unavailability due to operating conditions” in the justification.
A similar slogan is now used by gas-dependent energy producers. Energy losses were reported, for example, by Elektrociepłownia Włocławek, which belongs to the Orlen group. It produces energy not only for the needs of the group’s fuel fertilizer plant – Anuel, but also supplies the national power grid. However, current standard gas prices are not conducive to energy production from this fuel. Today, blue fuel is ten times more expensive than it was a year ago.
in addition to Anuel temporarily stopped producing nitrogen fertilizer – Precisely because of the expensive gas, which is a main raw material not only for energy production, but also for fertilizers. This will also have an impact on the rate of use of the Włocławek block. Orlen recently reported partial power loss due to “operating conditions” at the Płock CHP plant.
– The operation of gas units is continuously improved, taking into account market conditions. Orlen’s press office explains that the situation in the gas market is one of many factors taken into consideration when adjusting gas unit loading levels.
Drought takes water from power plants
Another problem for the power plant is drought. Due to the low water level in San, Elektrociepłownia Stalowa Wola (ECSW), owned by PGNiG and Tauron, cannot operate at full capacity.
– The reported power loss indicates this The flow in the river is too low for ECSW to use as much water for cooling purposes Without prejudice to the provisions of the integrated permit. Unfortunately, ECSW cannot predict the duration of such a situation – explains Dariusz Mączka, ECSW Board Member. However, it ensures that the operator can force the unit to operate if there is a threat to the security of the country’s electricity supply.
– Unit capacity does not depend on gas prices. The volume of electricity production sold to consumers was determined early. long gas price It has no effect on contracts already concluded. Expensive gas fuel affects the possibility of spot contracts and the possibility of extortion of PSE (National Electricity Grid Operator – Editor’s Note) In order to balance the power system – Mączka adds.
Due to the absence of extortion by the operator and the lack of contracts in the spot market at current prices, Stalowa Wola’s block utilization rate was only 3% in July.
– The unit worked in the first ten days of July and then was put into reserve – Informs Mączka.
According to the Jagiellonian Institute, the use of erań gas mass in Warsaw has also decreased significantly – from 55 percent. In June up to 11 percent. July.
Strong retreat but ambitious plans
In 2021, gas power plants were responsible for 8 percent. Domestic electricity production. But in July of this year, that share fell to 4.6%. We produced more power, among other things, from windmills, despite gas blocks rising above wind farms in July 2021.
Less use of gas blocks will allow more blue fuel to be stored before winter. As with coal, so with gas There are growing concerns about whether we have enough fuel for the heating season. Whenever gas is also an important raw material in heating, or for Chemical factories, which, in turn, supply their products to many other economic sectors, including the food industry. Disruption in the gas market, caused by Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, could lead to problems with the availability of this fuel across Europe in the coming months.
Meanwhile, Poland is planning major investments in gas energy. The new blocks will replace worn out coal-fired units, which will be phased out in the coming years. The Polish government’s energy policy in Poland Predict that by 2040, the capacity of facilities using blue fuels will increase from 2.7 GW in 2020 to 8.5 GW in 2040 (power plants, combined heat and power plants). That will mean In two decades, about 17 percent. Electricity in Poland will be produced from gas. However, it cannot be ruled out that the current raw material crisis will materialize these plans.
However, some blocks are already under construction. Polska Grupa Energetyczna is currently building two gas units at Dolna Odra Power Plant In Nowy Czarnów (West Pomerania Province) with a total capacity of 1.34 gigawatts. The value of the investment, including maintenance services, will be net PLN 4.7 billion. The planned completion date is the end of 2023.
Later this year, Orlen Group’s Energa will begin construction of a gas and steam power plant in Grudziądz. Installation will start in 2025. Energa is also investing in Ostruka to generate electricityA blue-fueled unit will be installed at the stalled coal block construction site.
Many heating plants, which until now depended on coal and were overshadowed by the high costs of carbon dioxide emissions, are also converting to gas.
Author: Barbara Oksińska, Business Insider Polska
“Internet Geek. Food Enthusiast. Thinker. Beer Practitioner. Bacon Specialist. Music Addict. Traveler.”