Correct storage of medications is critical to the safety of drug therapy. Learn the 5 most important rules.
Many people do not follow the rules for proper storage of medicines in their homes, only 40 percent. of respondents check the appearance and consistency of the drug before using it – this is the result of a study conducted by students of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of the Medical University of Silesia in Sosnowiec. Meanwhile, improper storage of drugs can limit their effectiveness.
It is very important for each patient to be aware of the health and life-threatening consequences that may result from improper storage of medicines. It may cause no therapeutic effect and in the worst case lead to a decrease in the safety of drug therapy – reminds Dr. Artur Beberok, pharmacist, teacher for students who do studies.
What should you remember? 5 important rules
- In hot weather, it is important to remember the correct storage temperature for medicines. If the packaging of the medicinal product contains the following recommendations: “storage at room temperature” – this means a temperature range of 15-25 ° C (the most common); “Store in a cool place” – means the range from 5-15 ° C; “Cooling” – means storing the drug at a temperature of 2-8 ° C.
- It is worth paying attention to the conditions in the room where the drugs are stored. They should be placed in cabinets that are not exposed to sunlight and moisture, so it is preferable to put them in a cupboard in a room rather than the kitchen or bathroom.
- Before applying syrup, tablets or suppositories, check their appearance, for example, that they have not changed color or texture. If they differ from their original form, they should never be used.
- Always check the expiration date before taking a medication. This date is indicated on the package of the medicine. Do not take medications after this time, as they may lead to negative consequences for the health and life of the patient.
- It’s also worth reading the leaflets that come with the medication. The most important information is provided there, incl. Action, indication and possible side effects of the preparation.