Hurkacz’s second appearance at this year’s US Open began as the sun was setting over Flushing Meadows. The game was played in a very beautiful setting, because Court No. 12 is located next to Arthur Ashe Stadium, lit up in the colors of the rainbow that evening.
The atmosphere was great, the cheering of the fans from Poland was great and gave a lot of energy. It was great that there were so many people in the stands. I would like to thank them for their support – a later admitted 25-year-old resident of Wroclaw.
However, from his point of view, it was not on the field, because unexpectedly the Pole – his rival 63 places lower in the world ranking – met with strong resistance from the Belarusians. First of all, Iwaszka was a great runner and hit almost all the balls. He didn’t have a strong serve, but he performed very well defensively.
– I think he played more aggressively. I didn’t take my chances at the important moments. I had the ball to attack a few times, I wanted to attack, but I made mistakes or played inaccurately. Thanks to this, the opponent could take the initiative, was able to take advantage of these situations and attack. He simply played well – Hurkacz commented.
In the second he built his actions better and more patiently, but Iwasca did not give up. However, Hurkacz managed to settle the match thanks to a break in the last match.
– I knew there would be a fight. I was hoping to get a better rhythm but he still plays hard. It was definitely not my best performance, but I tried to do my best. I gave myself the chance to win and did my best. In the important moments, I wanted to make aggressive and good decisions, but I was playing sloppy. Sometimes it happens – explained the player of the American coach Craig Boynton.
Pole went out for the third game after a toilet break. But instead of a renewed attitude, he quickly lost his order and after a while lost 0:2. As he said in the post-match conference, it wasn’t a lack of focus.
– I didn’t run out of it because I knew I had to come out energized and I tried to do it. I made some mistakes that I don’t want to make and only then ran out of free points from the site. This always gives me a lot. Especially during those days when it was not easy for me to play – a resident of Wroclaw admitted.
Later he took the lead 4:3, in a 5:5 tie he “escaped the ax”, because the opponent had two balls to break. The tiebreak decided everything – at first Iwasca made mistakes, and in the end Hurkacz, who eventually lost with a score of 5-7. The set lasted 70 minutes, about the same as the entire Thursday match between Iga Švetik and Sloane Stephens.
– I started the tiebreak well, but – as in the whole match – there was no end. It’s a pity out of 4-2 when I played fairly good air ball, but Ilja responded with a super passing shot, so applause for him. Both this point and the service missing again. I did my best, but today it wasn’t enough – Pole indicated.
The beginning of the fourth group is a copy of the position of the third group. Iwasca quickly broke the pole and then – despite the ambitious attitude of Hurkacz – raised it to 3:0. This advantage was not abandoned. However, the Belarusian won four more balls and the entire match 3:1.
– Elijah played a good game. First of all, it was not served well. My order did not help me hide the weaker game in other elements of the back court today. The missing 20-30 cm was me hitting wherever I wanted. And at this level makes a big difference – he added the electrode.
Hurkacz doesn’t have exact plans for the rest of the season, but – as he revealed – he will certainly recommend France’s Metz to seek luck. He will leave New York unsatisfied.
I am disappointed with the way this tournament ended. However, I am constantly evolving and looking for experience. Today I learned a valuable lesson – conclude.
From the back fields to the Ministry of Sports and Tourism. Kamel Bortnizouk admits that the minister’s portfolio is the fulfillment of his young dreams. – When someone asked me years ago who I wanted to do sports, I said: I would like to become a minister – he recalls it in an interview with Łukasz Kadziewicz.
source:PAP / cables
Created Date: Today 08:06
“The uncomfortably humble TV fan. Twitter generalist. Extreme music enthusiast. Internet connoisseur. Social media lover.”