Rembrandt’s masterpiece “The Polish Rider” will appear in the azienki park in Warsaw more than two hundred years after it left the king’s residence. The portrait of the illustrious Dutch painter can be admired from May 6 to August 7, 2022 in the exhibition entitled Royal Rembrandt. The Polish Knight of the Frick Collection in New York.
Rembrandt “Polish Knight” It was part of an extensive collection of paintings by Stanisław Augustus, the last king of Poland. Over time, the painting was sold by the heirs of the ruler and transferred to the hands of subsequent owners, and today it belongs to The Frick Collection in New York.
Really One of the artist’s most famous paintings. The extraordinary popularity of this work was determined by the mysterious nature of the painting and its unusual poetic atmosphere, as well as purely painterly qualities – Rembrandt’s ingenious technique typical of brushing and refined tones. The painting, painted circa 1655, is an example of the artist’s mature style.
This is amazing precious painting It is one of only two known equestrian portraits of the Dutch gentleman. composing Rembrandt It has been confirmed by the research of scientists from the Rembrandt Research Project and raises no doubt. However, to this day, it is not known who depicted the “Polish Knight” (another name for the painting is “Lisowczyk”).
“Polish Knight” Offered to King Stanislaw August 1791 by Michael Kazimierz Oginsky, Grand Hetman of Lithuania, composer and writer, opposite the orange trees of the Royal Gardens. The painting was hung in the hall on the first floor of the island palace in the azienki park in Warsaw – the beloved summer residence of the king, where he collected the most important works of his painting collection. After the king abdicated the throne in 1795 and left the country, the painting remained bathrooms. At the end of the 1990s, it was hung in the photo gallery on the ground floor of the Island Palace, where it will now be presented to the public.
It is an iconic image, whose return to its original place has been the dream of generations of museum professionals – Dr. Love convinces. Andrei Petlij, A.; From the Jagiellonian University, director of the Wawel Royal Castle.
Since the king’s death, his heirs have gradually sold off the royal collections, and beginning in 1814 “Jeździec” has been added to the collections of other art lovers.
In 1910, Zdzisław Tarnowski, owner at that time “Polish Knight”.
The exhibition will be accompanied by a bilingual edition with articles by curators. A specially designed educational area will open in Stara Kordegarda, where children’s animation will be played.
Exhibition Co-financed by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage.