- Lisichansk is the last large city that remained under the control of Ukraine in the Luhansk Oblast
- Occupying the city was part of Russia’s short-term goal during the invasion of Ukraine
- Experts predict the actions of Russians and Ukrainians in the coming days
- You can follow information on the defense of Ukraine 24 hours a day on our website direct relationships
- More important information can be found on Onet homepage. If you do not want to miss any important news – subscribe to Our newsletter
“Today, on July 3, 2022, the Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation, General Sergei Shoigu, informed the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin about the liberation of the Luhansk People’s Republic,” reports the press. The release of the Russian Ministry of Defense.
Lisichansk is the last large city that remained under the control of Ukraine in the Luhansk Oblast. It is located on the west bank of the Donets-Siuersky River. Severodonetsk collapsed on the other side last week.
The capture of the two cities was Russia’s short-term goal during the invasion of Ukraine. However, the Kremlin gradually limited its plans, announcing the Battle of Donbass in April, in which it wanted to encircle most of the Ukrainian army and capture the entire territory of the Luhansk and Donetsk states.
The Ukrainians managed to destroy the crossings through the Doniec Siewierski, but the Russians approached Lisiczańsk from the south. A few weeks ago, they succeeded in penetrating the Ukrainian defense near the city of Popasna.
And on Saturday evening, recordings of Russian troops in the city center appeared on the Internet. The head of the Luhansk region, Serhiy Heidi, said Sunday morning that the Russians are in the city and are moving forward..
Officially, the Ukrainian authorities have not confirmed the loss of Lyzhchansk. And the National Guard announced, on Sunday morning, that the fighting was taking place outside the city and that the soldiers were not surrounded by the Russians.
Adviser to the Ukrainian Defense Minister, Yury Sak, stated that the Russians do not have “complete control” of Lischansky. In the city, the fighting is supposed to be “very intense for some time” and the Russian ground forces are “constantly attacking the city”.
– However, even if Russia captured the entire Luhansk region, this would not mean that the Donbass battle was over. He noted the presence of other large cities in the Donbass region, in particular in Donetsk Oblast, which is still under the control of the Ukrainians, the BBC reported.
The American Analytical Center, the Institute for the Study of War, estimated that in the coming days, Russia’s priority would most likely be to attack the Ukrainian positions in the city of Seversk in Donetsk Oblast (about 20 km west of Lyschansk), before focusing on the attack on Slaviansk and Bakhmut.
The withdrawal of Ukrainian forces to Siwirsk would reduce the risk of Russian encirclement. The Ukrainians may also continue to fight, while withdrawing to positions near the E40 section of the road between Słowiański and Bakhmut, experts from ISW wrote.
Thank you for being with us. Subscribe to the Onet newsletter to receive the most valuable content from us.
Created Date: Today 12:54
“Analyst. Lovely avid bacon reader. Entrepreneur. Dedicated writer. Award winning wine ninja. Subtly endearing reader.”